Team up and represent your university globally!
Compete to be considered for employment, consulting and internship opportunities at WorldQuant.
Top-performing teams may be invited to travel to the regional semifinals and the final event in Singapore this summer.
This exciting global competition will allow you to team up with other students, alumni and/or professors and represent your university and country while exploring the field of quantitative finance. Participants will have the opportunity to create teams and compete at the university, national and global levels with top quantitative minds from around the world.
As part of the competition, you will create predictive models (alphas) that, when used in combination with historical data, seek to predict future price movements of securities and various financial instruments. Your team will have access to WorldQuant’s web-based market simulation and analysis platform (WebSim) to build your own alphas, using various types of data.
You and your team will have the opportunity to:
- Compete at the university level and, if successful, take a trip to the regional semifinals
- Be invited to travel to the final event in Singapore and compete to become the 2018 International Quant Champion!
- Learn about quantitative finance at both the beginner and advanced levels
- Compete for the opportunity to be awarded a special one-time stipend from a total potential pool of up to $100,000
- Be considered for internships, consulting and employment opportunities at WorldQuant
How the International Quant Championship Works:
The International Quant Championship provides interested individuals with an opportunity to test their ideas using WebSim and earn points by identifying high-quality predictive signals. This competition will be composed of three stages starting in late March 2018, as follows:
Participants in the International Quant Championship will team up with others from their university and compete at the university level. Winning teams from each university may then be invited to travel to compete in the national and/or regional semifinals. Top teams from the semifinals may have an opportunity to travel to the final stage of the competition located in Singapore.
Top performers may be considered for internships, employment or consulting opportunities with WorldQuant and may earn a special one-time stipend in connection with such opportunity!
How to Get Started:
- Register for a WebSim account. Please make sure to fill out your academic profile when applying for a new account.
- Upon logging into WebSim, if you haven’t already done so, please accept the WorldQuant Challenge guidelines and, when prompted, confirm your interest in being considered for the 2018 International Quant Championship. Once confirmed, you will have the ability to create a team of 3 to 6 members.
- View the “Getting Started” section of the help documentation, watch recorded training videos and start building alphas.
- Attend online and onsite training sessions.
Information Session Schedule
We invite you to join us for a free online information session to learn more about the International Quant Championship. You can access the events calendar here.
- Do I need to be a programmer?
Programming skills are not required to participate. WebSim offers a simple interface to enter mathematical alpha expressions, or an optional Python workbench.
- Do I need to understand stock markets?
While in-depth knowledge of global financial markets is not necessary, it is helpful to have a desire to learn about the markets.
- How do I create a team?
Ask your friends, classmates, colleagues, professors — anyone with the same university affiliation that has an interest in quantitative finance. This can include current students and alumni from the same university. You can create your team online.
- What’s the difference between the International Quant Championship and the WorldQuant Challenge?
The WorldQuant Challenge is a year-round competition that gives individuals an opportunity to learn about quantitative finance and compete to earn a Research Consultant opportunity. Powered by WorldQuant Challenge, the International Quant Championship is a team-based competition with special incentives for those that compete.
Once you enroll, you’ll be presented with regular opportunities to learn about quantitative finance and implement your ideas. As you progress through the Challenge, you will advance through various stages — each offering distinct educational resources.
Learn more about your path to success.
Learn about the financial market, work with basic stock pricing and volume data, perform simulations, interpret results and learn how to convert ideas to Alphas.
Receive training that will help you understand Alpha quality and avoid common pitfalls such as overfitting ideas and data mining.
Study how to combine a firm’s fundamental data and analyst estimates with a stock’s price and volume data to build even better predictive signals.
Improve Alphas through exclusive access to instructions on how to integrate nontraditional data sets and implement advanced Alpha-building methods using Python.