2017 India Summer Training Program
Our Quantitative Research Summer Training Program (the “Summer Training Program”) offers trainees skill-building opportunities to create high performing algorithms. The Summer Training Program will run from June 01, 2017 through
JulyAugust31, 2017 (the “Summer Training Period”) and is only available to WebSim users residing in India. This is a virtual/remote program whereby trainees will join training sessions over the internet (webinars) and proceed at their own pace and convenience.
The India Summer Program has been extended by a month, and will run through August 31, 2017.
Below are some operating guidelines and rewards for participating in the Summer Training Program:
- An individual participant who wishes to join in the Summer Training Program ("you" or the "trainee") must be over eighteen (18) years of age and not prohibited from participating by any law, agreement, binding obligation or policy. You are responsible for obtaining any permission necessary for you to participate. You must first register for an account as a WebSim user and be approved.
- Training will cover different topics relating to financial model building including operators, datasets, converting ideas to predictive models (Alphas), source of ideas, etc.
- A training and Q&A webinar session schedule will be published in advance. All trainees should keep track of the scheduled sessions on the events page and sign up for the sessions they are interested in attending.
- Trainees are encouraged to attend all sessions but a minimum of 80% participation in scheduled sessions is necessary to receive a completion certificate.
- Sharing of the training session schedule and related webinar links with any other person is strictly prohibited.
- All trainees are expected to have the means to join our webinars and use WebSim over the internet.
- Trainees are expected to build alphas, and will accumulate points, using historical market data and predefined operators or Python to simulate trading positions, assigning set weights to tradeable securities based on a prediction of the expected returns in the next defined trading period.
- Alphas are considered for scoring if they qualify and are submitted manually by the trainee for out-of-sample testing. Each qualifying Alpha is scored based on its performance, against other Alphas in the system. (It takes around one week for an Alpha to be scored after it is submitted.)
- Alphas submitted before commencement of the Summer Training Program will not be considered for scoring.
- The top scorer in the Summer Training Program may qualify for a one-time special stipend of up to INR 1,00,000 upon being engaged by us as a Research Consultant (see Consulting Opportunities section below for more details, including eligibility requirements).
- The trainee’s objective is to reach a score of 10,000 (Gold Level) based on the Alphas submitted during the Summer Training Period to be considered for a research consultant opportunity.
- Scores associated with existing Alphas can go up, down or stay the same based on out-of-sample performance of Alphas on a weekly basis (or any other selected evaluation interval).
- We reserve the right to change the evaluation window or the scoring mechanism at our sole discretion.
- Participation, including achieving a certain score level, does not entitle trainees to claim any item of value or other consideration.
- A leaderboard will show the ranking of each trainee in the Summer Training Program. A consolidated score based on each trainee’s qualifying Alphas will be used to calculate rank.
- The leaderboard can be aggregated and/or filtered by Country, City and University. Filters are based on information provided by trainees. It is each trainee’s responsibility to ensure their profile information is accurate.
- The trainee agrees not to use any illegal, offensive, inflammatory, abusive, libelous, defamatory, discriminatory, obscene or otherwise inappropriate image, language or other content in their profile, post it on the site or include it in any related communication.
- By participating in the Summer Training Program, you agree to grant the rights to your Alphas and other Input as set forth herein and to comply with these guidelines and the WebSim Agreement (incorporated herein by reference). By participating in the Summer Training Program, a trainee represents and warrants that any Alpha submitted by the trainee is such trainee's own original work. No part of an Alpha submitted by the trainee can be subject to the rights of any other person or entity.
- We reserve the right to change the scoring algorithm at any time. We reserve the right to amend the site, any elements of the Summer Training Program or these guidelines at any time in our sole discretion with or without notice to trainees, and to cancel, change or terminate the Summer Training Program or disqualify any trainees without any compensation.
- The idea behind each submitted Alpha should be explainable and make sense. We reserve the right to review any submitted Alpha and disqualify the Alpha or terminate the trainee’s account without any notice if we find the deliberate introduction of “noise” to subvert our scoring systems.
- Further if we detect any signs of “gaming”, sharing/cheating or any other unethical/dishonest behavior, we will terminate the trainee’s account and may report the trainee to the appropriate authorities.
- We reserve the right to remove anyone from the Summer Training Program without providing reason or notice.
- Trainees should only have one active WebSim account each. Duplicate accounts are grounds for suspension not just from the Summer Training Program but also from WebSim. Please ensure you deactivate any duplicate accounts you may knowingly or accidentally create by using the following URL: https://websim.worldquantchallenge.com/deactivate
- We may offer consulting opportunities (which may include a stipend) to trainees who achieve Gold Level during the Summer Training Period. At our discretion, we may also offer consulting opportunities to trainees who reach a level below Gold.
- In addition, the top scorer among the trainees who achieves and maintains a score of over 50,000 during the Summer Training Period will be considered for a one-time special stipend of up to INR 1,00,000, once they qualify, per the requirements described further below, to become a Research Consultant.
- Other trainees who reach Gold Level based solely on qualifying Alphas submitted during the Summer Training Period will be considered for a one-time special stipend in accordance with the levels defined below once they qualify, per the requirements described further below, to become a Research Consultant.
- Rankings will be based on a trainee’s total score, which may go up or down depending upon the performance of Alphas on most recent data.
- A snapshot of Alphas will be taken as of the close of the Summer Training Period, which will be used for final scoring.
- Level 1: The first 20 trainees who reach Gold Level within the first 30 days of the Summer Training Program and maintain their standing in the Gold Level for the remainder of the Summer Training Period will be considered for a one-time special stipend of INR 50,000 in our discretion.
- Level 2: The next 50 trainees who reach Gold Level during the Summer Training Period will be considered for a one-time special stipend of up to INR 10,000 in our discretion.
No consulting opportunity or compensation is guaranteed; any engagement as a Research Consultant is subject to satisfactory completion of background checks, execution of a consulting agreement and other applicable requirements in the discretion of WorldQuant.